[OM] Re: What would you do?

Subject: [OM] Re: What would you do?
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:17:46 -0500
Ah, welcome to the leaky lifeboat. Sigh. If you're a pro, I think you have
to have the right tool for the job. You also have to know that the tool
company is going to be there for you. In the digital age, much as we may
deplore it, advances in technology are rendering really good stuff obsolete
in obscenely short periods of time. Sadly, it appears that Olympus is
slipping away from the pro market and concentrating on the consumer and
prosumer market. I'm not nearly the gear head as some of the folks on this
list, but I'm damned if I can figure out how any E-3 is going to bring us
clean, high ISO shots on the 4/3's sensor. And I'm talking numbers such as
400 and 800, nevermind something like 1600 or 3200. Sure, I can make an E-1
ISO 800 image look good as long as it's printed small, or put up on the web,
but when it comes to enlarging to 11x15 or heaven forfend, 16x20, it ain't
happening.

I believe if you're a working pro you've got to start looking at Nikon and
Canon, much as we might desire to remain with our beloved Olympus. With the
Big 2 you know they can furnish what you need. A lot of folks here are
slipping away to the Big 2, and I fear I'm one of them. When the time comes,
and it ain't far away, I'll be making the jump, probably to Nikon, but that
ain't hammered into the stone yet. I've got stuff I need to do that my E-1
just can't handle as well as current offerings from the Big 2, never mind
what the Big 2 will be unveiling as Oly finally trots out the E-3.

And yes, there's a little tingle in the belly warning that to jump ship will
be to regret it down the road when Oly unveils the Magic Bullet for all my
Pro Woes, but I think I've been around long enough to know that's wishful
thinking interfering with my digestion. <g>

For what it's worth . . .

--Bob