[OM] Re: What would you do? Now: Horse racing and dog. Well sort of . .

Subject: [OM] Re: What would you do? Now: Horse racing and dog. Well sort of . . .
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:10:45 +0000
I was loyal to Olympus for 30 years and neglected trying Nikon and Canon
until fairly recently. I gotta say I'm very impressed with both my recent
Canon acquisitions - the A1 and the 300D. I think I may have done Canon a
big dis-service over the years - BTW Canon have just authorised me to d/l
the EOS SDK so I can develop software for/compatible with the EOS range (I
was a commercial programmer for 8 years and it will be interesting to look
at their SDK [Software Development Kit]).
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: What would you do? Now: Horse racing and dog.  Well sort
>of . . .
>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:35:49 -0500
>
>I don't really know what's driving Bob but I thought it was the ability
>to make very large prints.  If that's the motivating factor I'm
>surprised that his choice is not a 5D or some other full frame variant.
>   It doesn't look like Nikon is going there and a Nikon APS-C sensor
>just isn't a whole lot larger than 4/3.  Here I'm talking the physical
>dimensions of the sensor and not the current pixel count implementation.
>
>I just wish I could have a 5D sensor in a body with the egronomics of
>   a Nikon or a Minolta.  I'd have said an E-1 except that, good as it
>is, it's really technologically dated by other than just the sensor now.
>
>I stayed with Canyon for Oly lens compatibility and ultimately chose the
>5D for the large sensor.  I'd still do the same for the sake of the
>large sensor but have come to realize that lens compatibility is a nice
>little extra that's not worth a great deal in the end since it only
>boils down to a couple of lenses which could easily be replaced.
>
>Chuck Norcutt
>
>NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 11/29/2006 4:36:48 PM Central Standard Time,
> > bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> >
> > A lot of  folks here are
> > slipping away to the Big 2, and I fear I'm one of them. When  the time
>comes,
> > and it ain't far away, I'll be making the jump, probably to  Nikon, but
>that
> > ain't hammered into the stone yet. I've got stuff I need to  do that my
>E-1
> > just can't handle as well as current offerings from the Big  2, never
>mind
> > what the Big 2 will be unveiling as Oly finally trots out the  E-3.
> >

> > I'm a little curious why folks are thinking of going to Nik*n as opposed
> > Can*n.  It is not that Nik*n doesn't make a good camera, but rather if
>you
> > have a choice why you would choose a digital camera on which you weren't
>going
> > to be able to use your OM glass in the event that you wanted to do so.
>My
> > remarks need to be tempered by my saying that my first "real" 35mm SLR
>was a
> > Nikon F with several great Nikon lenses that was purchase in 1968.  At
>that
> > time Nikon owned the high end SLR market.  They have however managed to
> > relinquish that position to Canon over the past 40 years or so.  So my
>real  question
> > is, "Why, if the horse you are riding isn't getting you to the finish
>line,
> > would you change to the horse which is in second place when you could
> [...]

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!