[OM] Re: Canon or Nikon: was What would you do? Now: Horse racing and do

Subject: [OM] Re: Canon or Nikon: was What would you do? Now: Horse racing and dog. Well sort of . . .
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:02:53 -0500
I don't have CS2 so I don't know what it does but, if anything, I'd say
the association is the other way around.  If you're going to sharpen
something that has noise in it you want to reduce the noise first since
sharpening will accentuate the noise.  Picture Window Pro, for example,
has an "advanced sharpening" function which begins the process with
optional noise reduction.

The type of noise reduction shown in the Canon link below is done at the
individual pixel level during capture.  Each pixel is handled
independenly of any other pixel.  That's very much different than global
post-process image pattern analysis by the likes of Noise Ninja or Neat
Image.

Chuck Norcutt