[OM] Re: 28mm f/2.8 repair advice

Subject: [OM] Re: 28mm f/2.8 repair advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 12:08:05 -0500
Thanks for the help.  The problem is fixed.  The lens must have been
repaired and mis-assembled some time before I got it and apparently I've
never tried to use it until recently or, if I did, never attempted to
set it wider than f/5.6.

The problem was that the diaphragm stop down lever driven by the camera
(CE1049) which is supposed to fit into the wider of two notches in
CE1584 was on the outside of the notch and not inside the notch.  The
aperture control pin (CE1573) also fits into a notch in CE1584 but into
the smaller of the two side-by-side notches.  It was properly in the
small notch but, since the stop down lever was outside of its own notch
in CE1584, when the aperture control pin would cause CE1584 to rotate
CE1584 would run into and jam against the misplaced stop down lever
before completing its full travel.

It took removing the front lens assembly as you suggested to see what
the problem was but the fix had to be implemented from the back by
removing the mount so the stop down lever could be lifted and inserted
into the notch in CE1584.

Add "mis-assembled 28/2.8" to your list of symptoms and fix file.

I think this may be the first time I've ever "easily" removed a thread
locked lens assembly with a little bit of acetone.

Thanks again for the help.

Chuck Norcutt