[OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 13:14:38 +0000
PS on paranoia, I had a P2 based PC a few years back that exhibited strange
behaviour - e.g. crashed for no reason etc. I tested all the components -
e.g. graphics card, sound card, Network card, RAM etc. in other PCs - they
were fine. I changed the RAM chips about 3 times - chrcking the sticks were
from the same batch - had the same latency, etc, etc. But, put them back on
that m/board and weird things happened again. Checking on the Internet I
eventually discovered that the m/board had a fault. All the boards of that
make and model did. The board was designed to take 128mb RAM (IIRC) and I'd
put 128MB on it. Turns out that the manufacturers hadn't actually tested
said board at that capacity. They just figured that it would work. It worked
fine with 64MB. At the time the board was being sold, nobody had put more
than 64 MB on it - RAM was expensive back then! And the fault didn't show up
until > 64MB was used - i.e. when s/h boards were doing the rounds  and
being fully populated with RAM.
So, I wonder how many cameras (that may be working great at the momenty) may
fail should we ever move to TB sized cards? I suggest that you keep your
sales slip and guarantee cards in a safe place lol
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Max memory card
>Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:25:14 -0500
>

>Oh thanks, AG.  As if I don't already have enough trouble with nightmares .
>. .
>
>ScottGee1
>
>On 12/1/06, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > your camera.  If you had a 35 MP camera which is enough to
> > > print a 16x24 image at 300 ppi and this camera had 12 bit
> > > color depth over three color channels you'd need about 155 MB
> > > per image.  2 terrabytes is enough to store approx 63,000
> > > such raw image files or one frame per second for 17-1/2
> > > hours.  Of course, heavy shooters might need more.  :-)
> >
> > Great.  Imagine the DPREVIEW Forums with 35MP pictures of cats
> > and people claiming that 20MP pictures can't be printed larger
> > than A6.
> >
> > Am I wrong?
> >
> > AG

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!