[OM] Re: Back up and storage

Subject: [OM] Re: Back up and storage
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:53:56 +0000
I have two 120 Gb Hard Disks - both  of which are nearly full at the mo (but
there are a few backed up DVDs on there. Most of the data I have is - are,
sorry - MP3s. Apart from a few minidisks, my entire music collection is
backed up to and hence stored on my PC (over 12,000 mp3s). They account for
around 70 Gb. I have a few Gb of photos too - a collection which will
inevitably grow larger. I have a DVD rewriter but I've already lost way too
much data to DVDs to put any faith in them (which is why I backed up some of
my fav movies to hard disk!).
The nearest thing I know to reliable storage on a PC is a hard disk. I think
that before long an external 400 GB hard disk will become necessary. CDs
last longer than DVDs - but they still aren't reliable enough. Minidisks are
much better - but I can't find any minidisk drives :(
I am kinda hoping that it won't be long before flash memory arrives with TB
capacities - but then, think of the potential for data loss if you lose your
memory stick!
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters