[OM] Re: 200mm only at infinity

Subject: [OM] Re: 200mm only at infinity
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 20:50:30 +0100
Winsor Crosby wrote:

-----

I found this anomaly of long zooms to be really interesting. I was

completely unaware of it.

 <http://www.cameralabs.com/features/18200_issue/>
http://www.cameralabs.com/features/18200_issue/

-----

I wondered about that when I bought the 50mm Macro. The 14-54 I have
since I have the E-1 focusses to 0.22 m, but does not give the 50mm's
magnification. This message made me look closer ath the specs of the
14-54 and 50mm Macro. See the links below for the specs on the official
E-system site:

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/products/lens/14-54_28-35/index.html

and

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/products/lens/50_20M/index.html

As you can see the macro lens gets higher magnification at 2 cm more
distance. I can only conclude that the zoomlens does shifts focal length
at short focus distance too, and by quite a large amount. The larger
focussing distance is even more obvious since the lens is so short and
the focussing distance is given from CCD frame to subject (as it should
be BTW.) So the focal length shift is not only seen in extreme
zoomlenses, but in shorter ones too.

Wiliam