[OM] Re: Back up and storage

Subject: [OM] Re: Back up and storage
From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 08:57:31 -0700
I have used CD and DVD for backup.  Some of the DVDs did only last a year or
so.  The CDs lasted at least 3 years before the first errors were noticed.
These where just some brands found at Beastie Buy, so there is no fancy gold
coating involved I guess.  I don't consider this media as suitable for
backup any more, only for temporary storage or for file sharing.

My solution these days is quite simple.  I obtained a removable rack from
TigerDirect.com for about $25, and then purchased a couple of 250GB ATA-100
hard drives (they are slowest and cheapest at the moment, had great rebates
at the time) for backup.  Works great, fast, reliable and has room for
everything I need at the moment.  If space runs out then it is just a matter
of adding a new disk.  The deteriorating magnetism is no issue as long as
you use them every now and then, as you do when you are backing up.

This is the cheapest and fastest way to back large amount of data up.