[OM] Re: Which spyware

Subject: [OM] Re: Which spyware
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:05:04 +0000
Even if your router has a h/w firewall and uses (NAT Network Address
Translation) which is an Internet standard that enables a local-area network
(LAN) to use one set of IP addresses for internal traffic and a second set
of addresses for external traffic, I would still say use a s/w firewall as
well. The router firewall is the 1st line of defence and will typically stop
around 90% of access attempts - the s/w firewall should take care of the
ones the h/w firewall misses. Also, a s/w firewall will [help] stop outbound
stuff if you somehow got any spyware etc. on your system.
ZoneAlarm is an excellent s/w firewall but it is a tad over-keen on LANs for
my liking - I'm not convinced its as fully au fait with ICS (Internet
Connection Sharing) as it should be - but with a bit [or lot] of effort can
be made ok.
But ZA does an admirable job of keeping hackers at bay. BTW *DO NOT* use two
3rd party s/w firewalls as they will interfere with each other and
compromise your defences. The h/w and s/w firewalls shouldn't interfere as
the h/w one will be controlled by the router's own onboard firmware.
BTW if you have a wireless capable router and are using ethernet and not
wireless, it makes sense to cripple the wireless and stop all APs (Access
Points).
Most s/w firewalls now also include anti-spyware software and anti-virus
software too - but I recommend you get additional anti-spyware and
anti-virus sw too (but check for any conficts or interference between them).
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Stuart Robinson <restmengi@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: Which spyware
>Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 16:13:07 +0000
>
>I don't know anything about routers & broadband, at home I just have
>dial up, terribly slow. Does juju monitor which programmes connect to
>the internet?
>
>Stu
>
>Geilfuss Charles wrote:
> > Stu,
> >     I use the MS one that came with XP and I'm running through a
> > router which has its own protective juju.
> >
> > Charlie

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!