[OM] Digital v Film

Subject: [OM] Digital v Film
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:49:35 +0000
Ok
I've had my DSLR for a week now and taken a couple hundred shots. So how
does it stack up to my film SLRs? Firstly, at low ISO settings, the quality
is about on a par with film - if you got to see the pics on Easyshare you
might think it far exceeds film, but its my negative scanner that sucks -
not the film. However, in just about all other respects, digital rules. I do
like the ability to d/l straight onto the PC - I can even remotely control
the camera with my PC :)
I also like having the faciulity to delete a shot on the camera :)
But where digital really surprised me is its ability to shoot at very low
levels without flash - at light levels where it'd be impractical if not
impossible to shoot the same shot with film!
At low ISO there is no obviously discernable noise - even with hghly
compressed JPEGs.
The aufocus is very much faster and better than on my Minoltas (no surprise
there!).
The AE is excellent - and so far I've not had any obvious problems with
white balance etc.
The inbuilt flashgun may be small but it is surprsingly good :) - I'd say on
a par with my T20.
I love been able to shoot over a 100 shots without having to change cards
(and would require 3 film changes of film on my film SLRs).
The battery life is excellent :) - lasts for over two days!
The zoom lens is surprisingly good (given the hearsay regarding kit lenses).
In short, I'm highly impressed with the performance of the camera and DSLR
photography.
BUT, while the camera is nice enough to use, it's notr got as good a 'feel'
as my Canon A1 or Olympus OM2 - but the camera is nice enough to use and
I've got over being a bit wary of using it.
The camera controls are simple, well located and easy to use. The only
'fiddly' bits are the battery, CF Card and USB compartment doors. I hate
recessed spring-release catches!
So I am well happy with my new DSLR and it will get most work. But when real
robustness is required, I will use my film SLRs.
I'm not gonna abandon film totally, but I'm glad I've gone digital too :)
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters