[OM] Re: Thin UV Filter

Subject: [OM] Re: Thin UV Filter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:01:57 -0800
Ali Shah wrote:
> My biggest concern is damage to the front element.
> Having a UV filter in place gives me piece of mind.
Which is more important, image quality or peace of mind? (Or were you
giving me a piece of your mind for having given the advice I did?)

To have both, you need to test your lens/filter combos before relying on
them. Fortunately, that's easier and cheaper with digital.
> My ZD 50-200 had a tiny speck on it..not sure how
There have been numerous proofs posted here that even amazing gouges out
of front elements have no effect on image quality as long as they are
blackened to prevent reflections/refractions from the broken area. I
think it may have been Chuck who took images with and without a big
piece of black tape on the front of a lens. You just couldn't see the
difference in the images.
> but at that point I wanted to go without a UV. I took a series of workshops
> with a nutty professor....actually the guy wasnt bad but he didnt believe in
> filters.

Doesn't sound so nutty to me..... My rules for color, 81 series for UV
at altitude, PL for reflection control, but not sky darkening -
everything else done in processing.

Moose