[OM] Re: Musings on Megapixels III

Subject: [OM] Re: Musings on Megapixels III
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 02:45:40 -0800
I missed commenting on some recent threads about megapixels, resolution
and prints. But, surprise, surprise, I have some thoughts and opinions
on the subject.
---------------
So how many megapixels are really needed/useful in a camera? ...Asks the
guy with a 12.7 mp camera.

If all you want is web images and prints up to 8x10, I'd say about 2 mp.
Here are some informal portraits from the time when I was using the 1.9
mp S110 quite a lot <cid:part1.02070200.01000005@gmail.com>. I've
printed some of these on 8x11.5" paper and they are quite lovely. And I
really don't see where more mps could add anything to the web images.
For loupe viewers, the prints would be better, but at normal viewing
distances, no.

I've posted these before
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Glads/pages/14-1075_.htm> &
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Glads/pages/10-1053.htm>. Again, I
don't see how more mps would improve them, on screen or on paper.

So why do I now use a 6 mp P&S instead of the 2 mp one? Partly, for
things that you can't get on a smaller mp camera because they don't make
quality cameras with such small sensors anymore.

- Fast startup and low focus/shutter lag.
- Better low light performance, in both focus and image quality, without
flash.
- More and easier creative control with aperture and shutter priority
AE, auto iso options and EV comp without going into the menus.
- Better JPEG processing that retains shadow detail that low noise makes
useful, but I didn't know that when I bought it.

And in addition, because 6 mp with a decent lens and low noise allows
more cropping, in effect extending the reach of the 3x zoom, which is
important to me.
----------------------------
So why do I now use a 12.7 mp DSLR instead of the 6.1 mp one?

- Fast startup and low focus/shutter lag.
- Better low light performance, in both focus and image quality, without
flash.
- More and better metering options.
- Because FF 12.7 mp with a decent lens and low noise allows cropping,
in effect extending the reach of tele lenses and zooms, which is
important to me. With my most used lens, the 5D becomes a 28-500
mm,12.7-5 mp camera. 18x zoom anyone? And still in the rez range for at
least 16x20 at the long end.
So most of the reasons I have moved up in mps have little to do with the
need for more mps and lots to do with the other things that come with
the newer design cameras. Although without the last item under DSLRs,
I'd probably have a 30D.

Moose