[OM] Re: Busting a myth

Subject: [OM] Re: Busting a myth
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:13:06 -0600
On 12/6/06, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Heh, it's always funny how someone actually just doing a test
> > can debunk accepted wisdom like this.
>
> The USAF 1951 Lens Chart contains no converging or diagonal
> lines.  If you are comparing raw resolution, I absolutely agree
> that Stair-Interpolation stinks.  However, if you've got lots of
> lines that can alias on you, a Stair-Interpolation may be your
> only option.
>
> AG

Thanks for that.  I feel convinced from looking at *prints* from
bicubic upsampled files and FM stair interpolated files that the FM
tool is a Good Thing.  It seemed to me that Butzi's using the USAF
lens chart for his test was a bit like using a brick for a hammer.
But I couldn't really say why.

Joel W.