[OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #332

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V3 #332
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 19:15:21 -0800
Bob,

While I am pleased to hear that you're considering moving over to the
Mac side, and while I think you'll be very happy with the Mac Pro
(I have a friend who has that model, and it is smokin' fast), I would
recommend that you NOT get the 23" Apple Cinema Display for
two principal reasons...

1) You cannot adjust contrast or the R/G/B values on the Apple Cinema
Displays,only brightness, which will affect how well you can adjust
the monitor for
profiling with a hardware colorimeter

2) The 23" ACDs are reknown for having a notable pink cast
to them, rather than a true white. There is extensive posting
to this effect on the net.

I would recommend getting a comparable Samsung or believe
it or not, a Dell. Dell uses the same Phillips panels that Apple
does, but
does allow you to adjust R/G/B and contrast.
If you want to spend more money and get a very good LCD, I recommend
an Eizo ColorEdge monitor. I use a 21.5" Samsung 215TW which I paid
$499, and it profiled up beautifully.

Cheers,
Stephen