[OM] Re: [OT] MS Vista

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] MS Vista
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 05:53:13 -0500

Ali Shah wrote:

> ... You can actually install Vista on most any
> type of computer. However, for example if you install
> it on a PC running Windows 2000 it will downgrade
> features.

I'm confused.  I thought Vista was the OS to replace XP.  Are we talking
virtual machines here?  If so, how so on most any type of computer?

> Another feature is the live icons. When you move your
> mouse along the taskbar - you actually see a thumbnail
> of what is open. If you are watching a video- the
> video will actually be playing within the thumbnail.

Ouch! A video horespower hog.

> When you resize a window.....instead of cutting the
> document up...the document will resize along with the
> window. For example when creating a Powerpoint
> slide...the entire slide will decrease in size.

Ouch! A video horsepower hog.

> Completely redesigned memory management,

Uh, oh!  Danger, danger, Will Robinson.  When IBM and MS were working on
OS/2 I once had 10 IBM developers and 10 MS developers working for 3
weeks trying to find a single memory management bug.  Do the math.  60
man weeks for one problem.  Hint.  It wasn't in the IBM code.

>  and even allows you to cache using the
> memory of a USB thumbdrive.

Probably allows other silly things as well.

> Also future server OS's will be 64bit. Interesting how
> 16bit to 32bit was a no brainer. However, 32bit to
> 64bit is taking a little longer to become the norm.

Probably because Intel, in its perpetual love affair with non-linear
addressing, tried to break the 32 bit barrier with another silly memory
scheme.  We we're waiting for Intel in catchup mode.  If AMD had more
market clout we'd probably be much further along.

Chuck Norcutt