[OM] Re: [OT] MS Vista

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] MS Vista
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 12:28:21 +0100
Le vendredi 08 Décembre 2006 11:53, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :
> Ali Shah wrote:
> > ... You can actually install Vista on most any
> > type of computer. However, for example if you install
> > it on a PC running Windows 2000 it will downgrade
> > features.
>
> I'm confused.  I thought Vista was the OS to replace XP.  Are we talking
> virtual machines here?  If so, how so on most any type of computer?

No, we're talking about stalling a perfectly fine working machine to a turtle
crawl.

> > Another feature is the live icons. When you move your
> > mouse along the taskbar - you actually see a thumbnail
> > of what is open. If you are watching a video- the
> > video will actually be playing within the thumbnail.
>
> Ouch! A video horespower hog.

Interestingly, having used the X.org counterpart in Linux, it's a perfectly
nice feature, and (on linux) it's offloading the dirty video work where it
belongs, in the GPU. But of course, MS butchered the concept and you need to
have a cray embeded into your video card to benefit from it on Vista.

> > When you resize a window.....instead of cutting the
> > document up...the document will resize along with the
> > window. For example when creating a Powerpoint
> > slide...the entire slide will decrease in size.
>
> Ouch! A video horsepower hog.

ditto.

>[...]
> >  and even allows you to cache using the
> > memory of a USB thumbdrive.
>
> Probably allows other silly things as well.

Yes, because flash ram has a low write cycle limit ; hammering on it with -
basically - a swap file is the best way to destroy it in no time. But, hey,
they're so cheap, now...

> > Also future server OS's will be 64bit. Interesting how
> > 16bit to 32bit was a no brainer. However, 32bit to
> > 64bit is taking a little longer to become the norm.
>
> Probably because Intel, in its perpetual love affair with non-linear
> addressing, tried to break the 32 bit barrier with another silly memory
> scheme.  We we're waiting for Intel in catchup mode.  If AMD had more
> market clout we'd probably be much further along.

Well, IA64 was made by AMD actually and Intel followed suit. So 64 bits
addressing isn't totaly brain dead this time. But who needs to compute 2^64
different values in collections ? 64 bits computing is a solution witing to
find its real world problem.

--
Manuel Viet