[OM] Re: Noise reduction

Subject: [OM] Re: Noise reduction
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 06:40:41 -0500
I think the two major contenders are Neat Image and Noise Ninja.  These
reviews are a couple of years old and I would suspect that,
technologically, they're probably equal.  At the time of the reviews
both were only available as stand alones but I would guess they're
probably available as PS plug-ins by now.

I have old, freebie versions of both and I preferred Neat Image but I
haven't done any serious film scanning in a long time which is where it
was really needed.  VueScan incorporates grain/noise reduction in its
filter menu but I've never used that part of VueScan since it was added.
  I keep the Min*lta A1 at ISO 100 95% of the time so there is really no
need for noise reduction there.  I've taken a few ISO 3200 shots with
the 5D but have never had to print anything large taken at that speed
and haven't been driven to clean any images.

<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/noise-ninja.shtml>
<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/neatimage.shtml>

Fred Miranda also has noise reduction plug-in software that works on
scanned film or JPEGs or raw files right out of the camera for only $20.
  Sounds useful and inexpensive but I don't know anything else about it.
<http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/Xpro>

Picture Window Pro also has noise reduction as part of the "advanced
sharpen" function but I've never use the noise reduction part.

Chuck Norcutt