[OM] Re: Noise reduction

Subject: [OM] Re: Noise reduction
From: James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 13:55:28 +0000

I use neat image and like it.
There is both a photoshop plug in available and a stand along program
with batch facility - if you buy the professional version. It works well
for me (slide film). I apply a little grain removal and sometimes use
the sharpenning too.
The only slight problem with it is that if you decide to use it on raw
files which are gamma 1.0 e.g. raw from vuescan then even with a profile
it tends to over clean dark areas resulting in featureless dark rocks
etc. If you convert to gamma 2.0 first it works far better.
The docs are fairly well written and its easy to use one calibrated. I
have thrown it at 64bit RGBI medium format scans of over 500MB and its
handled them without dying (true I have 3GBytes of ram and 8GB of
swapspace). Its been fairly robust. I had one or two crashes from the
photshop plug in but the original files was not damaged and I think
photoshop even managed to continue.
Regards
James