[OM] Re: What is CA?

Subject: [OM] Re: What is CA?
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 15:55:10 +0000
Hi Ali
As reagards er.. 'manual' IS, here's a reply I posted to another list a few
days ago:
Allan

The people photographed are very good friends - and in some cases, so much
so, that I consider them family. I now have to start building a digital
portfolio - I tend to shoot inanimate objects and nature scenes more than
people. So, at the moment, the site doesn't really properly reflect my
general photography. I'm still experimenting with the settings on the 300D
while waiting for more clement weather so I can get out and about more. I
have noticed that I still have a tendency to press the shutter release
button a tad hard/sharp (and the 300D doesn't have the anti-shake s/w of
most digital cameras). I keep forgetting it's a very soft electromagnetic
button and the right grip is a tad bulbous for my liking - I'm slowly
training myself to not just support the camera under the lens with my left
hand but to actually apply a corrective action as and when I gently squeeze
the button. The 300D is not as well 'balanced' a camera as my A1 (the A1 I
can throw around like a demon and still avoid shake) - I think its because
the 300D seems a tad 'top heavy' because I strive to keep my face of the LCD
screen when looking through the viewfinder. Anyway, I've managed to cure the
small amount of camera shake I was getting - when I remember to apply the
corrective action. But there again, so far, most of the shots I've taken
with the 300D have been under fairly low light conditions - and at first I
was a tad wary of it - it feels a lot more fragile than my A1. I am happy
with the 300D though and just starting to get a bit blasé about using it now
:)
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: What is CA?
>Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:42:36 -0500
>

>Ali, I'm guessing you haven't tried IS/VR yet.  I have two of the
>newer lenses from C@non.  They greatly expand the possibilities for
>hand-held photography, particularly in low light and improve results
>in normal light.
>
>I've been shooting for close to forty years and have observed that
>results from even the best gear is compromised by inadequate
>technique, chiefly vibration/movement from an unsteady camera.  IS/VR
>helps to alleviate that problem.  A steady tripod, mirror lock-up and
>cable release are ideal, but when those can't used, IS/VR can be very
>helpful.
>
>For example, I made a few shots with my newly acquired 70-300.  One at
>110mm and 1/6 sec is very sharp.  The one that blows my mind was at
>300mm at 1/20 sec. has printed material in it.  It holds up well when
>pixel-peeped at 100%!
>
>my two lux worth/ScottGee1
>
>On 12/7/06, Ali Shah <alizookoman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > IS is probably "image stabilization". IS lenses are
> > the big thing now. I dont understand why people are
> > HOT on IS lenses. I keep thinking about the old days
> > when 'IS' meant keeping your body steady.
> >

> > --- Allan Mee <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > The term ''IS' has been mentioned a lot lately with
> > > regard to lenses - but
> > > I've been too afraid to ask lol The only 'IS' I know
> > > of was a range of Oly
> > > fixed zoom lens film cameras that looked liked SLRs
> > > - e.g. the IS100, IS500,
> > > IS1000 etc.
> > > I suspect the term 'IS' has nothing to do with said
> > > cameras (as it was used
> > > in connection with Canon Zoom lenses IIRC)
> > > Allan
> > >

> > > PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this
> > > message and a very large
> > > number of electrons were asked their permission to
> > > be terribly
> > > inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them
> > > afterwards for being really cool
> > > about it).
> > >
> > > Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a
> > > conscious human being and a
> > > confused mass of energy, have created.
> > > -Disturb the mind -

> >http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/chromatic_aberration_01.htm

> > > What

> > > Find Singles In Your Area Now With Match.com!
> > > msnuk.match.com
> > >

> > > ==============================================
> > > List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> > > List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

> > Have a burning question?
> > Go to www.Answers.yahoo.com and get answers from real people who know.

> > List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> > List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> [...]

It's Hotmail's 10th Birthday! Come and play Pass the Parcel
http://www.msnpasstheparcel.com