[OM] Re: [OT] VB6 ; was Alternative to Adobe Bridge, etc.

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] VB6 ; was Alternative to Adobe Bridge, etc.
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 16:53:43 +0000
Hmmm VB itself is surprisingly relatively bug-free (meaning only a few bugs)
- but the Controls used in it and the Windows API calls made using it are
another matter. One of the few 'good' things that MS did was to preserve
BASIC - and like you, I too appreicate a decent BASIC. Modern BASICs (even
the DOS based MSQuickBasic 4.5 - the compiled one, not the DOS freebie one)
addressed just about every fault people had with BASIC - but BASIC had by
then already got a bad rep due to abominations such as Commodore and Atari
BASICs and a host of other BASICs on 8-bit micros.
But a decent BASIC is one of the best, safest and most stable programming
langauges - and can be just as fast, powerful and structured as
C/PASCAL/Cobol/FORTH/JAVA etc. etc. - with the benefits of array boundary
checking, garbage collection, decent error handling (in some BASICs) and
SIMPLICITY and readability!
I still remember the arguments between C and BASIC programmers when a s/w
house I worked for made the decision to go C only so they could standardise
their code across the many platforms we were supporting at that time. The
overly-hyped portability of C (and even Java) is a 'myth' - but it is easier
to port C and Java than BASIC.
I've used X-BASIC in Windows and Linux (though it's not a flavour of BASIC
that I liked) and Blitz and AMOS BASICs on the Amiga and PC and STOS BASIC
on Ataris and PCs.
Covering the years 1981 to 1998 - I'ver used over 400 different versions of
BASIC (and numerous assembly languages, C, PASCAL, and various other
languages). But BASIC is my preferred high-level language and VB 6.0 was/is
very, very good - although arguably a 32-bit version of QuickBASIC would be
better in many ways!
C (rather than C++) and JavaScript are probably still the closest things to
a universal language, but I prefer a good BASIC over C - even though C has
advantages.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] VB6 ; was Alternative to Adobe Bridge, etc.
>Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 17:22:43 +0100
>

>Le samedi 09 Décembre 2006 16:48, Allan Mee a écrit :
> > (Vb 6.0 is one of their most respected and much loved and used/abused
> > products - and was probably one of their biggest cash-cows).
>
>I know many people who'd add that it's one of their most bugged product
>too.
>And honestly, as a programming language, VB has some dramatic
>inconsistencies. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a otherwise a strong supporter of
>BASIC programming for the general public ; I think the bad reputation of
>the
>language is now totaly unfair, and if more people tried it, they'd cope
>much
>better with their computer, generaly. Personaly, I'm learning the
>deepnesses
>of Gambas on Linux, and scripting major KDE applications with DCOP is a
>real
>pleasure to achieve some unbelievable stunts with just a dozen lines of
>coding "glue").
>
>--
>Manuel Viet
>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

It's Hotmail's 10th Birthday! Come and play Pass the Parcel
http://www.msnpasstheparcel.com