[OM] Re: Pics on Flickr

Subject: [OM] Re: Pics on Flickr
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 02:03:55 -0800
Allan Mee wrote:
> Just a small set of shots to test:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/18334957@N00/

Some nice ideas and compositions. And as we already know, Austen is a
terrific image.

On the other hand, there are some problems with exposure/tonal distribution.

The pencil shot has almost no tones above the middle of the histogram.
Unless the paper is a dirty gray, that's not right. It also hides the
texture in the paper, which I think rather adds to the image
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AllanMee/Macro.htm>.

The rose shot is hopelessly overexposed. The red channel is badly blown
in the highlights. In addition to losing detail, that throws the color
in those areas off. Unsalvageable unless it's dfilm and can be rescanned.

The daisys are also overexposed, in that the center of the tonal range
is placed so that the petals are unnaturally bright and lose internal
detail. Fortunately, only a little is actually blown
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AllanMee/Flowers2.htm>.

Neither alternative is intended to be the best possible, only to show
possibilities.

Moose