[OM] Re: [Photo] Two portraits

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Two portraits
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 06:06:09 -0500
Well, I'm not gunshy.  I'm intensely curious now.  I don't see the
puported color banding at all.  But since two of you do there's got to
be something wrong with my eyes or my monitor or I just don't know what
I'm supposed to be looking for.

There are some cloning artifacts which are the product of working
quickly and using PS's @%$@^$ cloning tool (instead of PW Pro's).
They're visible as (mostly) vertical darker gray streaks a short
distance from Maria on the left side and a small sliver of gray on her
sleeve.  The bit on the sleeve is due to PS's clone tool affecting areas
  beyond the nominal brush radius, something that PW Pro never does.
But I see absolutely nothing I would call color banding since I don't
see any color at all beyond various shades of light to medium gray.

The newly created background comes from copying a large portion of
what's on the right side, moving it to the left edge of the original
frame, flipping the copied piece about its vertical axis for a better
match on the patterns of light/dark and then blending in the result with
the clone tool.

And thanks for defending my "demo" image.  I'll remember that the next
time I'm inclined to comment outside the demo range of one of yours
again.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt
Over-the-top saturation critic