[OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software

Subject: [OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:41:48 -0800
John Hudson wrote:
> www.JohnHudsonPhoto.com/Temp/Images/JC100532.jpg
>
> is a shot I took late this afternoon at Blue Rocks, Nova Scotia, a fishing
> community about an hour west of Halifax. The shot was taken with a 7-14 zoom
> on an E-500 at 7mm. I was standing on the hand rail.
>
> My question is whether the visual distortion of the wooden pathway and hand
> rails and that of the jetty at the extreme left could likely be righted with
> the PTLens software which has been discussed on the list of late.

In short - no. PTLens is designed to correct linear distortion inherent
in the lens itself. It is calibrated for each lens by taking a picture
of a flat subject with gridlike lines on it and with the camera square
to the subject.

Your distortion is a result of having the camera at a considerable tilt
from horizontal, the classic problem with ultrawide lenses. That kind of
distortion can be corrected in an editor like PS, but it significantly
changes the image
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Hudson/JC100532.htm>.

To square up the subject puts lots of the original image outside of a
rectangle without any blank space in it. Cropping to rectangular crops
off that area. If you want to avoid both distortion and retain all the
subject s seen through the viewfinder, you must hold the camera level in
both planes.

Moose