[OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software

Subject: [OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 04:00:41 +0000
You guys are wizards with PS et al.
The differences you make are outstanding. I think I'll have to really get to
grips with PS. When I was  a full time programmer - we (programmers) spent a
lot of time hand-editing images (usually computer generated rather than
photographs) but it's not something I've really done (editing images I mean)
for a long time. I think the software tools nowadays are amazing and I know
it takes a lot of skill and talent to get the best out of such tools.
So it's kinda weird for me - I've been working with digital imagery of some
kind or other since 1981 - but I'm new to digital photography and editing
digital photographs. Over the years, I've written more multi-media apps than
I care to think about - amongst them was a program suite called KAOS which
could edit, view and play every form of media at the time of writing. With
it, you could view, edit, play with text, graphics (BMP, TGA, JPG, TIFF,
GIF, PCX, MSP, PNG, GEM, Windows meta-files and other vector graphics, etc.
etc.), all office docs (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Access), MP3s, wave
files, Amiga MOD files, SND and AU files, MPGs, AVI, MOVs etc. etc. - and it
had a web browser, email program, LAN chat program, file manager and even
had its own programming/media-authoring language with which you could access
and use the various Windows APIs (e.g. MCI API) using simple English-like
text scripts. It had it's own text editor, paint program, CD and DVD player.
I wrote it as a one-for-all media requirements app. It got me a boatload of
distinctions when I did my IT degree. But I admit, I'm a million light-years
away yet from what some of you can do with PS et al. But it is weird because
I've written software that manipulate bitmaps - rotate them, invert them,
emboss them, convert to grey-scale (and metallic), convert between formats,
enhance a little (sharpen or blur, etc.), enlarge, reduce, etc. etc. But at
the moment I wouldn't have a clue how to do in/with PS, PTLENS, etc. what
you guys do.
I know I'm going to have to change how I do photography and work with images
and that's one of the reasons I find groups like this one so useful. In the
short time I've been in this group _ I've learned far more than I can air
here.
I was going to scan 1000s of images from negatives - but the scanner doesn't
give anything like the results I want. So at the moment I'm just playing
around with the 300D - getting to grips with it b4 I take it out to various
locations I have in mind. My impressions so far is that digital photography
is a surprisingly different kettle of fish to film photography - and opens
up entirely new vistas. The quality of shots by digital photographers on
this and other groups sets a high standard to aspire to.
Just thought I'd say thanks guys :)
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software
>Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:55:32 -0500
>
>I don't seem to be able to get the hang of perspective adjustment using
>PTLens so I applied a perspective correction in PW Pro to fix the
>leaning buildings and then used PTLens to fix the distortion of the
>7-14.  The distortion correction is visible but not dramatic.  I would
>describe it like pressing down in the middle of an inverted paper plate
>to flatten it out and stretch it radially.  The result looks better but
>that l-o-o-o-o-on-n-n-g walkway is still a l-o-o-o-o-on-n-n-g walkway.
>See it at:
>
>original:
><http://www.chucknorcutt.com/temp/John%20Hudson%207-14.jpg>
>perspective correction:
><http://www.chucknorcutt.com/temp/John%20Hudson%207-14%20p.jpg>
>perspective + distortion correction
><http://www.chucknorcutt.com/temp/John%20Hudson%207-14%20p_pt.jpg>
>
>You can click on these three links in sequence and then use your forward
>and back buttons to see the changes.  Someone else may be able to do
>better on the perspective correction but the distortion correction is
>automatic if selected.
>
>Chuck Norcutt
>

>John Hudson wrote:
>

> > www.JohnHudsonPhoto.com/Temp/Images/JC100532.jpg
> >
> > is a shot I took late this afternoon at Blue Rocks, Nova Scotia, a
>fishing
> > community about an hour west of Halifax. The shot was taken with a 7-14
>zoom
> > on an E-500 at 7mm. I was standing on the hand rail.
> >
> > My question is whether the visual distortion of the wooden pathway and
>hand
> > rails and that of the jetty at the extreme left could likely be righted
>with
> > the PTLens software which has been discussed on the list of late.
> >
> > I have worked through the samples on the PTLens web site but none was as
> > extremely distorted as that of my photo.
> >
> > John Hudson

> > List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> > List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version. Join now.
http://ideas.live.com