[OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software

Subject: [OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:15:47 -0500
Moose may be a wizard but I'm not.  I only know enough to get by on my
bread and butter which is retouching and (once in a while) restoring
pictures of (mostly) people.  Here's a restoration job, for example:
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/restoration.php>  The entire photo looked
almost as bad as this guy's face.  But it was very important to the
client since it was the only existing photo of her grandparents.

Some PhotoShop techniques I have learned from local friends, from Moose
and others on this and other fora and from Katrin Eismann.  Katrin is
the author of "PhotoShop Restoration & Retouching".  This is version 3.
  I only have version 2 but reading the reviews here I see I may want
the latest one.
<http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Restoration-Retouching-Voices-Matter/dp/0321316274/sr=8-1/qid=1165835151/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1824297-2957446?ie=UTF8&s=books>

I have lots of books about PhotoShop but none of the others can even
hold a candle to Katrin's book ... when it comes to photography.  We
need to keep in mind that the full PhotoShop app, despite its name, is
really a graphic artists tool.  As photographers we really only scratch
the surface of what PhotoShop was designed to do.  However, even that
sub-universe is huge.  Katrin will help you out by winnowing out the
chaff and teaching you only what you need to know to work on photos and
how to do it efficiently.  Start off with the latest version of
PhotoShop Elements (ver. 5).  You may never need to buy the full blown
app.  You can download a trial from here:
<http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/tryout.html>

Chuck Norcutt
(whose home page image and others are benefitted by a bit of PhotoShop)
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/personals01.php>