[OM] Re: My proposed database fields

Subject: [OM] Re: My proposed database fields
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:11:37 +0000
SQL is indeed a language for querying relational databases - the actual
implementations of 'SQL' leaves a lot to be desired (it's a kind of not
fully standardised standard) - but many people do think of 'SQL' as a kind
of database. I should be more pedantic at times I know. It would be better I
think just to write my own query and parsing engine (which is not as much
work as it sounds - fortunately, VB, like most BASICs, has good string
handling facilities).
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: My proposed database fields
>Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:59:24 +0000
>

>I'm sure that you're right to be pedantic about that, Moose, but the
>book (remember that it's "for Dummies") talks about SQL databases and
>servers, presumably meaning databases and servers which respond to
>the language because SQL is installed.
>
>Let's say that a SQL (or MySQL) database is one specifically for use
>with SQL, notwithstanding that it will work with other systems :-).
>I don't use Ac*ss if I can help it, but Filemaker will do the same of
>course.  In fact I plan to use tables generated in Excel.
>
>Chris
>
>On 11 Dec 2006, at 10:45, Moose wrote:
>
> > Structured Query Language is a tool for extracting data from
> > databases,
> > not a database in itself. There are many, many database types that may
> > be accessed using SQL, including the native Access form.
> >
> > Access can also create SQL queries for use against other databases.

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

It's Hotmail's 10th Birthday! Come and play Pass the Parcel
http://www.msnpasstheparcel.com