[OM] Re: OT My proposed database fields

Subject: [OM] Re: OT My proposed database fields
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:03:25 +1300
Chris wrote
> Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:58:41 +0000
>
> Heh!  I am just looking through "PHP & MySql for Dummies", learning
> about the structure of SQL databases thinking that it looks rather
> similar to horrid old Acc*ss :-)
>
> Your list looks fine to me, but as a serious suggestion, Allan, have
> you looked to see which fields are produced by the camera and by the
> software that is now available for photo editing and cataloguing?

Quite a few months back when Andrew McPhee was active in this group and
started the OM Odyssey, he was using php, and he or somebody else
mentioned in the same breath MySQL.

For the life of me I couldn't see any difference at my end between html and
Andrew's php, but he said he thought it was the best thing since the
invention of sliced bread, so I thought I'd take a look at it.

Through http://www.bookfinder.com/ I found a book;

SAMS "Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL and Apache" written by Julie C. Meloni.

Big mistake. This turned out to be the most irritating book I have ever had the
misfortune to open in 64 years of opening books.  It is probably capable as
far as it goes. It wades right in at the start by explaining where to download
from, then how to install and create privileges.  But NOWHERE AT ALL does
it say what the purpose of these languages is. Nowhere.

What do they do? No idea.

If I tripped over the bloke who wrote it I'd probably throw the book at him !!

There is also a suggestion, but I'm not sure; it's kind of a hint; that these
programs should be installed on a server and not on a *standard* desktop
machine (whatever that is). But absolutely no explanation or elaboration.

I did try contacting the associate publisher, one Mark Taber at
samspublishing.com but the email didn't work 2 years after the book was
published. Perhaps just as well ...

Brian (still fuming).