[OM] Aperture Vs. Lightroom

Subject: [OM] Aperture Vs. Lightroom
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:55:20 -0800
AG,
I agree, and I am a big fan of Lightroom. There's really no way to
keep multiple interpretations like you can with Aperture (which I am
not such a big fan of, per se-for
one thing, it is still too dang slow, even on my Core Duo black
Macbook).
The other thing I see lacking is a seamless way to archive, move, or
relocate images edited in Lightroom in the way you can with
iViewMedia Pro or Aperture.
Adobe needs to get on the stick about this pretty soon. The only way
you can currently do this is to create a binder, export it, and then
if you want to view it from the new location, re-import it back to
Lightroom. Too cumbersome. To be honest, this is one of the few
faults I find with Lightroom.

The other thing I would like to do with Lightroom is to drag and drop
images right into the Grid view, and to be able to export to a
specific collection. Lastly, I'd like to be able to right-click in
the Develop module and have export be available as a command.

I've downloaded the Aperture Trial and will start working with it
over the holidays to see how it stacks up to Lightroom. The bottom
line will be the quality of the RAW conversion. I expect that it may
be tough for Apple to beat Adobe at this with all their experience
with ACR as well as integrating the best features of RawShooter as well.
-Stephen.