[OM] Re: [photo] berkshire hill fog

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] berkshire hill fog
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:39:07 +0000
Well, I suppose I have experience selling prints via a web site.

I sell prints from my Gallery site (http://photo.whizzkid.co.uk)

I'm not in it for the money, I really just charge my costs. I take
photos at kids parties and school events that my kids go to and put them
in my gallery for parents to look at and maybe order prints.

Gallery is Open Source, so there is no charge for using it - if you know
what you are doing you can install it on any web host that offers PHP
and MySQL. You can download it from http://gallery.menalto.com. My
Gallery runs from a cheap Linux PC on the end of my broadband connection
at home. There are some hosts that provide pre-configured Gallery
hosting - see Certified Hosts Lists on the Gallery web site:
http://gallery.menalto.com/wiki/Web_Hosting_Referral_Page

The look of Gallery is very configurable and even different albums on
the same site can be given different themes.

Gallery can handle a few different payment methods. I have used PayPal,
NoChex and Cheque. It can also handle charging for downloading high res
version of images, although I haven't used this feature.

There are more features than I care to mention but some of the main ones
include automatically watermarking uploaded images, permissions system
to allow different users to edit certain albums, pricing for different
print sizes and paper type and uploading files direct from Windows XP.

I can provide Gallery hosting (and customisation), but probably not a
cheaply as some of the Certified hosts mentioned above - and yes I would
host it somewhere better than a cheap PC at the end of my broadband
connection!

Feel free to contact me off-list if you want any further info.

Regards,

Mike.