[OM] [OT] Cholesterol again, chasing some of my own links

Subject: [OM] [OT] Cholesterol again, chasing some of my own links
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 18:07:15 -0500
I'm skeptical.  The study is not in a 1st tier journal and more importantly is
not placebo controlled.   The depletion seems real based on some good published
data  but the benefits of supplements quite unclear. (I am not an expert in
this area but likely the list's endocrinologist).  I'd keep my hard earned
funds firmly in pocket though would discuss the symptoms with the prescribing
MD.

Mike  (who has a great self interest in keeping Chuck around for a long, long
time)

Update
The American College of Cardiology recently published an expert consensus
document on integrating complementary medicine into cardiovascular medicine.
Their conclusions regarding the use of coenzyme Q10 are consistent with those
discussed above. The value of coenzyme Q10 in cardiovascular disease and with
statin use has not been clearly established. (Vogel JH, Bolling SF, Costello
RB, Guarneri EM, Krucoff MW, Longhurst JC, et al. Integrating complementary
medicine into cardiovascular medicine. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005;46:184-221.)
Author disclosure: Nothing to disclose.
The authors would like to thank Bret Scher, M.D., F.A.C.C., for his assistance
in preparing the manuscript.
Members of various family medicine departments develop articles for
"Alternative and Complementary Medicine." This is one in a series coordinated
by Sumi Sexton, M.D.
AOL Mail and more.