[OM] Re: [photo] berkshire hill fog

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] berkshire hill fog
From: "Marc Lawrence" <MLawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:45:20 +1100
> Mike Lees wrote:
> [...]
> Gallery is Open Source, so there is no charge for using it -
> if you know what you are doing you can install it on any web
> host that offers PHP and MySQL. You can download it from
> http://gallery.menalto.com. My Gallery runs from a cheap
> Linux PC on the end of my broadband connection at home.
> There are some hosts that provide pre-configured Gallery
> hosting - see Certified Hosts Lists on the Gallery web site:
> http://gallery.menalto.com/wiki/Web_Hosting_Referral_Page

I registered a couple of domains, and got a package for web-hosting,
email, etc. from Dreamhost (http://www.dreamhost.com). They
have the Gallery auto-installer. They have it as one of their
"One-click installs", but I think when they say "One click" they
mean "One click repeated several times". :-) It's still pretty easy
though, and from memory there's other options to attach
modules to sell prints, and other stuff there (I've not really
looked into it - I just use the Gallery in its simplest form).
They've been pretty good, if having a penchant for odd newsletters
(amusing and honest, but not what one normally expects from a
company newsletter). Their limits (space, downloads) border on
the ridiculously huge too (I will never get remotely close to
them), while seeming quite cheap for it.

I find Gallery very functional. I really should look into it
more, because it's configurability will no doubt help me stop
it from looking a little "standard" in its standard form. Once
up and running though, uploading photos is just a breeze, and
there's slideshows if you want them, and permanent links available
if you want to direct link to photos, and you can give people
accounts to upload their own (I've got to set up one for my
sister in France, so she can upload photos of my nephew). All
in all, I like it quite a bit.

Anyway, my 2c worth, on Gallery and Dreamhost - basically, I
like both. :-)

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz