[OM] Re: Scanning CN

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning CN
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:42:52 -0800
Nils Frohberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just to prove that  I'm still here from time to time,  how about some CN
> scanning advice? The &^%$# orange mask ist a real pain :)

Try scanning as color neg film. There should be a setting for color neg,
as opposed to positive/reversal/slide. The scanning software is designed
to compensate for the orange mask in that mode.

I don't know what scanning software you are using. Orange masks are not
all the same, but any software should get you close with the correct
film type setting. With VueScan, you can scan a piece of blank frame to
set the mask compensation individually for the film you are scanning.
Better yet is to create a color profile for the film.

> I tried  exposing the scan such  that the red  channel is as far  to the
> right as possible without clipping, but  then green and esp. blue are so
> dark  that there's  a lot  of  noise. I now  set the  scanner to  expose
> longer, so  that the  green channel is  far right,  almost clipped. That
> means that the red channel is clipped more than halfway. The pictures to
> look better  though. But I don't want  to loose any (too  much) data, so
> I'm worrying a bit about that red channel.

You shouldn't have to do any of this stuff.

Moose