[OM] Re: Scanning CN

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning CN
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:12:43 +0100
On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 10:42:52AM -0800, Moose wrote:
> Nils Frohberg wrote:
> > just to prove that I'm still here  from time to time, how about some
> > CN scanning advice? The &^%$# orange mask ist a real pain :)
>
> Try scanning  as color neg film. There  should be a setting  for color
> neg, as  opposed to positive/reversal/slide. The scanning  software is
> designed to compensate for the orange mask in that mode.

Yup,  doing that. But  still,  this is  only a  computation  on the  raw
scanner data. (No, not a simple 'inverting', I know :).)

> I don't  know what scanning  software you are using. Orange  masks are
> not  all the  same, but  any software  should get  you close  with the
> correct film type setting. With VueScan, you can scan a piece of blank
> frame to set  the mask compensation individually for the  film you are
> scanning.  Better yet is to create a color profile for the film.

I created a color profile, this  works fairly well. But it can't recover
clipped raw data.

> > I tried exposing the scan such that the red channel is as far to the
> > right as possible without clipping, but then green and esp. blue are
> > so dark that there's a lot of noise. I now set the scanner to expose
> > longer, so that the green channel is far right, almost clipped. That
> > means  that  the  red  channel is  clipped  more  than  halfway. The
> > pictures to look  better though. But I don't want to  loose any (too
> > much) data, so I'm worrying a bit about that red channel.
>
> You shouldn't have to do any of this stuff.

Hmm,  I'm  not really  pleased  with  e.g. VueScan's results  in  'auto'
mode. Overexposing  the red  channel looks  a lot  better (although  I'm
probably loosing a bit of shadow  detail). That's why I thought I should
ask how others are handling this.

Nils