[OM] Re: OT Pentax agrees with the Schnozz

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Pentax agrees with the Schnozz
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 06:46:58 -0500
I didn't pay too much attention to AG's comments when he first posted
them but have been thinking about them some more after viewing the K10D
results (below) side-by-side using the full size images.  First, the
difference in sharpness between in-camera JPEG and post processed raw is
pretty dramatic.  It almost looks like the difference between an
excellent lens and a just so-so lens.  But Pentax certainly knows this.
  I'm wondering if the JPEG output is deliberately designed to be
"comfortable" for the average photo but with raw available for the
advanced used.  Or, do their software guys just not know how to do a
better demosaicing algorithm.

I'd like to hear from AG about the types of photos he has used where
people seem to prefer the softer version.  I'm wondering if subject
matter, size and viewing distance are involved.  I can hypothesize that
in some types of photos (portraits in particular) an extremely sharp
photo can force our attention to parts of the photo that really aren't
intended to be examined in detail.  In fact, I regularly soften portrait
images except for important facial features such as eyes, eyebrows, lips
and nostrils.  For architectural and landscape images, however, I think
you'd want the maximum possible detail to allow for careful inspection
all over.  But maybe not.

In any case, it doesn't matter for someone who shoots mostly raw.

Chuck Norcutt