[OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:14:17 -0600
On 12/16/06, Louis Naturani <louisnaturani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I thought it is time I should cease lurking and let myself be known.  I
> cut my photography teeth with an OM-1n in the late 70s - early 80s.
> After many years using c***n gear, I have now seen the error of my ways
> and recently bought an OM-4 in near mint condition.  I am head over
> heals about this body and can't wait to start shooting.
> It came with a 50/f1.4 with a six digit s/n.  Unfortunately I learnt too
> late that I should have sought a post 1,100,000 s/n 50/f1.4 lens.
> How much of a set back can this be?

Dead in the water.  You'll have to go back to Caanan if that six-digit
50/1.4 is all the better you can do.

Kidding, of course.  I helped my brother set up a little Oly kit for
my niece a few years ago and bought a high number 50/1.4 from him
after her made a camera/lens purchase that included one and exchanged
a 6 digit silvernose + $$$ for it.  To be honest, I've never liked the
high number 50 as well.  I know it tests better, but there was
something about that silvernose that could not quite be accounted for
by corner to corner sharpness and/or contrast.  Not as good looking
either, without the silver ring on the front.

I always wanted one of the older 85/2 versions as a result.  It
apparently tests quite differently from the newer version.  There's a
guy on the list who calls himself Ag Schnoz and he fleeced me out of a
bunch of other silvernoses, so you could almost say I made him the
better part of what he is today, as far as names go anyway.

So especially if its a silver one, I'd definitely hang onto it, as
none of these jokers around here think it's worth anything anyway.
They're mostly Caanan DSLR shooters on this list, don't be fooled by
"OM" in the list name.  They lost the meaning a while ago.

Seriously, part of this is serious. <g>  Enjoy your OM-4.

Joel (stepping up to the curmudgeon deficit) W.