[OM] Re: HU Back up and storage

Subject: [OM] Re: HU Back up and storage
From: <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 9:42:54 -0600
> Can you expound on how you intend to use the 4gb USB flash drive as
> backup storage in the field?  I don't know how you'd use it.  AFAIK you
> can't download directly to it from the camera.  You'd need a laptop as
> an intermediary.  But if you have the laptop I don't see the utility of
> an additional small amount of storage.  What am I missing?  Is your
> laptop drive small and nearly full?

Hi Chuck,

What is it that you don't understand about "backup"?  I'm just kidding you but
- I travel with a laptop with plenty of available storage but I sure want to
backup the images stored on it until I get home and transfer them to the
desktop machine.  So, every night, I copy the day's shots to CDs.  On the
Southwest trip this past spring I filled 14-15 CDs.  Several USB flash drives
might be more convienient.

Or, are you suggesting that one should buy extra media cards for the camera
instead and not erase those until the end of the trip and just use the laptop
for backup, not primary storage?

Later,
Johnny