[OM] Re: How young we all are in 2006

Subject: [OM] Re: How young we all are in 2006
From: Nick Wilson <toona@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 11:27:27 +1100
/Johann Thorsson wrote:
> We are not quite normal yet, but one can still hope!/

Getting there!  I have run a test for normality on the data and in the
old-fashioned statistical model the resulting P-value of 0.78 (N=71) is
far, far above the significance required to reject the hypothesis that
the list is abnormal. Put another way,  there is a 78% probability the
list is 'normal'. It would be higher apart from some oddities like the
absence of 58-61 year olds, given the number of 62-63 year olds and an
absence of 30 year olds.

For what it is worth, the 'skewness' of the list is very low as
well...hence, we are not only normal, but  non-skewed as well. OK, this
means the age distribution, but where is the fun in that?

It is interesting that the median and mean are basically the
same...again shows how normal we are!

Nick