[OM] Canon Software

Subject: [OM] Canon Software
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:24:41 +0000
Because I bought my 300D s/h from Jacobs camera and video store, Sheffield,
UK - I didn't get the CD that usually accompanies it. The shopo gave me a 12
month warranty - but said they haven't got a CD. I registered my camera with
Canon ok and got 12 months warranty from them - plus the developers SDK :) -
but they wouldn't ship me a CD - instead they put me in contact with a
dealer who wants approx. £20 for the CD :( - this I think is a ripoff
consodering I just bought the camera for £323 (approx 600 dollars for people
in the US).
The Canon site gave the WIA driver for XP :) - but all the other software
are 'updaters' which won't install without the original software being
installed. A thought struck me - how do the updaters 'know' whether or not
the original software was installed? I figured they probably just check the
registry for appropriate entries - and so I took guesses at what the main
entries could be. In many cases I guessed right - and so I now have the
Remote Capture, EOS Utility, PhotoStitch, ZoomBrowser EX, and Digital Photo
Professional software installed and working :) - which is about all the
utilities/software I wanted off the missing CD anyway. For example, to
install say, ZomBrowser, d/l the update. Edit the registry and under the
Canon category add the following key:
ZoomBrowser EX
using RegEdit. Then just run the updater to install it.
Just thought I'd let people (in a similar situation to me) know what to do
as a tip.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

Find Singles In Your Area Now With Match.com!  msnuk.match.com