[OM] Re: Canon Software

Subject: [OM] Re: Canon Software
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:33:41 +0000
Which was my thoughts exactly! The woman I spoke to at Canon - Canon phoned
me in response to the email I sent them concerning the CD - said that they
were unable to send a replacement CD but  she suggested that I contact the
store where I bought the CD from - when I explained that I already had and
they said the camera was s/h and they didn't have the CD, she did put in
contact with a Canon reseller/dealer. I even went to my local Jessops camera
store and offered to buy the CD there (rather than send £20 to a dealer in
London 200 miles away). Jessops said that they only get one CD per camera
and said (or at least implied) that the CD was 'linked' to the camera - i.e.
the impression they gave me was that the cameras serial no, would be
required and would have to match the one expected by the CD (which I felt
was really odd because the dealer in London said it would a CD for a 350D
since the 300D was discontinued). But, I can understand Jessops not having
any spare CDs to sell.
Anyhow, I've got the missing software now - but yes, I am still bemused that
Canon gave me 12 months warranty ok, but wouldn't send the CD. Maybe if I
said I'd lost the CD or that it was defective or something, I might have got
one from them. Sometimes honesty doesn't pay either?
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: Canon Software
>Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 08:25:26 -0500
>
>Very surprising that Canon wouldn't ship you the CD when they recognize
>(by giving you a warranty) that you own the camera.  Rather bizarre,
>actually.
>
>Chuck Norcutt
>
>Allan Mee wrote:
>
> > Because I bought my 300D s/h from Jacobs camera and video store,
>Sheffield,
> > UK - I didn't get the CD that usually accompanies it. The shopo gave me
>a 12
> > month warranty - but said they haven't got a CD. I registered my camera
>with
> > Canon ok and got 12 months warranty from them - plus the developers SDK
>:) -
> > but they wouldn't ship me a CD - instead they put me in contact with a
> > dealer who wants approx. £20 for the CD :( - this I think is a ripoff
> > consodering I just bought the camera for £323 (approx 600 dollars for
>people
> > in the US).
> > The Canon site gave the WIA driver for XP :) - but all the other
>software
> > are 'updaters' which won't install without the original software being
> > installed. A thought struck me - how do the updaters 'know' whether or
>not
> > the original software was installed? I figured they probably just check
>the
> > registry for appropriate entries - and so I took guesses at what the
>main
> > entries could be. In many cases I guessed right - and so I now have the
> > Remote Capture, EOS Utility, PhotoStitch, ZoomBrowser EX, and Digital
>Photo
> > Professional software installed and working :) - which is about all the
> > utilities/software I wanted off the missing CD anyway. For example, to
> > install say, ZomBrowser, d/l the update. Edit the registry and under the
> > Canon category add the following key:
> > ZoomBrowser EX
> > using RegEdit. Then just run the updater to install it.
> > Just thought I'd let people (in a similar situation to me) know what to
>do
> > as a tip.
> > Allan
> >

> > PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
> > number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
> > inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really
>cool
> > about it).
> >
> > Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being
>and a
> > confused mass of energy, have created.
> > -Disturb the mind -

> > Find Singles In Your Area Now With Match.com!  msnuk.match.com

> > List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> [...]

It's Hotmail's 10th Birthday! Come and play Pass the Parcel
http://www.msnpasstheparcel.com