[OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:58:17 -0800
Allan Mee wrote:
> I also wondered why Oly dropped mirror lock up on the OM2 - I think that in
> many peoples eyes, it's one of those little features that mark out 'pro'
> class SLRs from the semi-pros.

I think that's simple enough, it didn't work, in that it didn't solve
the problem it was designed to solve for most photography.

It is very clear in Gary's tests that mirror lock-up alone simply
doesn't result in sufficiently reduced vibration blurring to be worth
the trouble.

Starting with the OM-2SP and continuing with the OM-4 series, the
OM-40/OMPC and the OM-2000, they implemented a self timer actuated
action that both flips up the mirror and stops the aperture down far
enough before the image is taken to allow vibrations to die down. The
differences in some of his tests between OM-1 with MLU and one of the
later bodies with MLU and aperture pre-fire are dramatic.

It's one of the hidden prices paid for the very small, light body
Maitani designed. He also compromised from the Nikon feature model, as
they had a mechanical means of both MLU and APF in their contemporary
professional models, which were also much heavier than the OMs. An F2a
with mirror/aperture lock, is far less prone to vibration problems whta
the OM-1. The OM-1 is a fabulous design, but not perfect. I assume this
is also the reason the MLU was dropped from the OM-3 series.

There are various means to overcome the problem. The most effective
single one is to mechanically damp vibrations. One technique is to hold
the camera in both hands and trip the shutter with a finger, even when
on a tripod, while applying modest downward force to also damp
vibrations in the head/tripod assembly, which can be considerable. The
human, wetware body is a remarkably good vibration damper.

Another technique is to use a bag filled with heavy, small, not overly
smooth stuff draped over body and lens. Sand and small bird shot are
examples that have been successively used.

Moose