[OM] Re: So, it's a good camera

Subject: [OM] Re: So, it's a good camera
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 09:20:46 -0500
6 volts is a tough barrier for old flash units.  You can use this list
as a guide but only as a guide.
<http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>
Based on the variances in the same models (T-20 *might* serve) you must
still measure your own unit.  Easy to do.  Voltmeter between center
contact on the hot shoe foot and the contact at the sides of the foot.
Usually the center contact is positive.  Take the flash to a local photo
or electronics store if you don't have a meter.  Better yet just buy a
cheap analog one which will be handy for lots of things around the
house.  Make sure you have a probe that can fit into the narrow channel
at the side of the flash foot or use an alligator clip with a short
piece of small wire (unbent paper clip) attached to reach inside the groove.

The T-20 also has a flash controlled auto mode which probably works
almost as well as TTL and probably better than TTL with a little bit of
digital chimping and tweaking of the aperture or ISO dials.  You just
lie to the flash about how the camera is actually set.  Manual mode if
still better though.  If you pick a standard distance you will get
pretty good at estimating that distance by eye and your non-bounced
flash exposures will be spot on and the Stroboframe bracket will hide
the shadows and kill the red-eye for sure.

Chuck Norcutt