[OM] Re: Control Pack 2

Subject: [OM] Re: Control Pack 2
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:30:55 -0800
Just measuring the voltage will probably tell you if the connections are good.

If you try to measure ohms or "continuity" across a voltage source
such as a battery, the voltage source will force current, quite likely
too much current, to flow through your meter. I noticed in one of your
pictures your meter was set to a 1 ohm range. Perhaps you only
measured the voltage and not the "ohms".

If you want to test how good your connections are you could try to
find a resistor to use as a load. In this case you have 175mah
batteries with about 15v. So you would want a resistance of about 15v
/ 0.175a = 86 ohms (or maybe less) but it must handle nearly 3 watts.
The motor drive probably takes a higher short burst current than this,
but as a very "approximate" test, just discharging the battery at a
current rating equal to its amp hour number would show a voltage drop
if the connections weren't good enough. In this case just operating
the motor drive would be a better test.

If all you did was measure voltage, your meter is as good as anything
you could use.

-jeff