[OM] Re: OM Zuiko 500/8 on E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: OM Zuiko 500/8 on E-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:13:06 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:
> Hi all
>
> As mentioned a day or so ago, I spent about an hour trying the 500 / E-1
> combo on birds and in that time took about 50 shots.
>
> Here are three
> http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/zuikoholics/little-pied-shag.jpg
> 177 kb
> http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/zuikoholics/red-billed-gull.jpg
> 107 kb
> http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/zuikoholics/geese.jpg
> 393 kb

You presented them in the order of my preferences. The shag is nice
enough. The gull is really quite good, although you lose points for
cutting off the tip of the tail. :-)

The geese is a great capture, beautifully posed.  The only thing that
detracts a little bit from perfection is the middle goose being a little
bit blurry.
> The images were all re-sized and tarted-up with Irfanview; I took the
> sharpening one step too far with the gull and the feral geese.

Don't seem over sharpened to me. On the other hand, I think the gull
could use a little movement of the center of the tonal range
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/red-billed-gull.htm>.

And the geese could use a little more tarting up. I especially like the
way it separates the foreground and background
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Geese.htm>.

Thanks for the views!

Moose