[OM] Re: An old TOPE entry of mine

Subject: [OM] Re: An old TOPE entry of mine
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:39:22 -0800
It's called "comment spam" and it's just another technique used by
spammers to get their message out.   As the TOPE allows anonymous
comments, I'm amazed it hasn't become completely overrun with this sort
of spam before now. It's a largely automated process; programs to
generate comment spam search the web for sites that don't require log-in
in order to enable posting of comments, then generate thousands of
comments touting their "products".

It's why you'll find fewer and fewer sites allowing any sort of
interaction any more without registration. It is also why registrations
for most sites now generally require some action thought possible for
only a human to perform in order to complete the registration.

---
Scott Gomez