[OM] Re: OM Zuiko 500/8 on E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: OM Zuiko 500/8 on E-1
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:44:38 +1300
Larry wrote
> Nice pictures.   I have a question about the contrast.  It seems low in all
> three pictures.  I have been told that mirror-reflex lenses tend to have low
> contrast, but the Zuiko 500 is one of the better ones in that regard.
>
> Was it cloudy or overcast at the time you took the pictures?
>
>         ----- Larry Woods
>               lmwoods@rc n.com
Thanks Larry, yes it was overcast except for the little shag shot where you
can see the sun was shining.

However, there are other factors at play as well (photos don't lie, right?);
(a) I can't remember just now ( but those of you with quick access to the Oly
viewer can tell as Irfanview was used with the "preserve data" switch on) I
may have had exposure compensation on to under-expose thus preserve
detail in the white feathers of the geese;
(b) the photo of the gull was taken into the light. The white feathers of this
species are bright white.
(c) I *did* massage the photos with curves in Irfanview. This will have had
effects. In particular, I brightened the shag to bring out detail as far as
reasonable, in the dark feathers, trying at the same time to avoid blowing out
detail in the white..

The Zuiko 500/8 does have less contrast, and I think it is therefore necessary
to use a little trickery to overcome this. For instance, in the very distant
(60
miles+) shots of snowy mountains I shared some months ago, in later shots
of this subject I used a UV filter to obvious benefit.

I have no idea if the Zuiko is better than other makes, or not.  I have read
that
it is sharper.

Brian