[OM] Re: Looking back and forward

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking back and forward
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:57:32 +0000
Again I pretty much agree with you AG.
I have noticed that I do take better pictures overall with digital than film
- and like you, I think it's due entirely to the instant feedback from the
digital camera - but I will say that film makes you think more about your
shot. Maybe that was the problem for us? To much thinking and worrying about
things, since you know,say you're maybe 1/2 way through the roll and don't
wanna waste 18 exposures. Whereas with digital, at worst you'll have to
delete a shot or two from the card to make room for another shot. The
biggest worry is maybe how much battery life is left - but while that is a
real BIG worry with my Oly P & S, it's not now such a worry with the 300D (I
can use it for nearly two days on one full charge, or around about 300 shots
[with not much flash usage]- and it only takes 90 minutes to recharge the
battery). I might have to start worryng a bit more about space on the card
since I've upped the quality and starting using RAW - but I load the pics
onto my PC and delete them on the the card ASAP anyways.
I feel a lot happier taking the 300D out shooting than the OM2SP I had - the
OM2SP used batteries faster than I can credit. Even the Minolta 7000 AF
wasn't 1/2 as bad as the OM2 SP - and the Minolta 7000 has AF, an LCD screen
on top, program modes [which means using a CPU] and even a built in winder!
In fact the Minolta 7000 was amazingly frugal with batteries. The OM2
classic is also so frugal on batteries that it was never an issue. The Canon
A1 is also suprisingly frugal with batteries - being a multi-mode camera,
with a clever CPU, and a very informative LED numerals viewfinder, and an EM
controlled shutter I had expected it to be a bit heavy on batteries. But
again, no worries there I'm very glad to say :)
In short, I think that overall digital is much better than film. I think
film cameras will physically outlast digital cameras though - they were much
better built! But I also suspect that the fewer moving parts of the DSLRs
and the better electronics may prove to be their long-term saving graces -
and may give them unexpected longevity. Time will eventually tell. Will
there be a strong s/h market for Rebels, 5Ds, D200s, D80s, E1s, E500s, etc.
in, say, 20 years time? I think its way too early to make up my mind on that
yet.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters