[OM] Re: Looking back and forward

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking back and forward
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 17:35:23 -0600
Allan Mee wrote:

> Time will eventually tell. Will
> there be a strong s/h market for Rebels, 5Ds, D200s, D80s, E1s, E500s, etc.
> in, say, 20 years time? I think its way too early to make up my mind on that
> yet.

I don't think that's very likely. The key difference is that
producing photographs digitally requires much more than film and a
darkroom/processor. I will bet that, in 20 years, Compact Flash
cards will be as curious -- and prevalent -- a sight as 8" floppy
disks. You'll have to find some way to connect the FireWire or USB
slot on your D200 to whatever connector is popular on computers 20
years from now. If you _do_ get it connected (ideally, without
signal loss), will there be an application on the computer that can
talk to the camera and interpret the digital stream?

In the "old" days, the product was as much about engineering and
quality as it was features. Nowadays it seems that marketing and
economy trump both of those, and items are made obsolete just
because their continued use threatens corporate income streams.

That's my (admittedly pessimistic) view of it.

Regards,
Steve