[OM] Re: The new digital discourse [was: Looking back and forward]

Subject: [OM] Re: The new digital discourse [was: Looking back and forward]
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:49:29 -0800
Sorry, but you insult the intelligence of most of the people on this
list. They are not dupes. No one twisted their arms and forced them
to buy a digital camera. They are not silly people who want to take
their cameras to the bath, unless their bath is more interesting than
mine.

The technology of photography has changed and the progress has been
very rapid. You may not have noticed that it is real. There are
credible comparisons of full frame digital and even reduced format
digital that challenge medium format film in a short 10 years. There
has been no answering challenge from the film companies and they are
going out of business as a result. Camera companies have gone out of
business with the transition to digital. Nikon has only one remaining
film camera that it makes because it could not sell them. Canon still
sells some film cameras. Why haven't they discontinued them so people
do not have a choice with their evil strategy? How do you square that
with your manipulative industry model?  With any new technology it
takes a while for the price to go down. You can no longer buy a high
end digicam because there is no profit in it because of the
competition. That sounds like a good sinister, manipulative plan.
Nikon just brought out a D40 for $600 including the zoom lens. That
is cheaper than the new OM4T body I bought in the 1980s. When
corrected for inflation it is as cheap as any film camera ever made.
The D40 is about the same weight as the OM, includes a zoom lens,
autofocus, is faster, more comfortable in the hand, is quieter and
more refined and you don't have to buy film for it or a new battery
when it is discharged. And most people think the images are better
unless they are mired in an attachment to the past. Oh, those dastards.

I am sorry you are so uncomfortable with change that you have to
ridicule people who have found value in it. The thing is, there will
be film for a long time because some people like it. So you can
continue to use it to your heart's content and even praise it in this
list without being criticized because we almost all have a well
earned fondness for it too.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA