[OM] Re: The new digital discourse [was: Looking back and forward]

Subject: [OM] Re: The new digital discourse [was: Looking back and forward]
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 07:01:29 -0800 (PST)
Christos Stavrou wrote:
> There are few crypto-fascists in this list who keep talking as
> if they represent the list!...

Sorry, that's only me. I'm the true representative of the list.
Crypto-fascist?  Nah, there was nothing cryptic about their
comments to you.  I thought it was rather clear and didn't
require any interpretation.

> And of course they keep attacking every sense of logic, not to
> mention the idea of freedom of speech, every time they don't
> like or even understand other words.

Well, there are the "facts" and then there is the "presentation
of the facts".  Fact is, much of what you wrote is true.  The
way it was written was divisive.  One of the facts regarding the
automotive industry is the concept of "planned obsolescence".
GM really took this to an artform in the '50s and '60s.  In the
camera world, Canon continues to push this concept really well.

> Like in every village we have some idiots here too..
> Show them the moon, they'll look at the finger..

Well, you showed them "the finger".  What do you expect?

> Oh, dear James, it's not the first time mate that you and few
> others here express your anti-democratic, anti-intellectual
> loudness and darkness.. Not the first time that you resort to
> personal attacks instead of being civil and thankful for the
> new ideas that you can learn...

Is there an echo in here?

> But I don't think you are pathetic.

But I think Christos' post is.  Instead of calmly responding to
the points of disagreement, he is responding to the responder's
attitude of disagreement.  How can anybody learn from this when
people are attacking people instead of working out why the
different viewpoints exist in the first place.  I think a good
example of this is when Moose and I disagree on certain things.
We disagree on the specifics of the disagreement, but we don't
attack each other.

Shoot, there are times I even disagree with myself!

> James N. McBride wrote:
> Your so-called intellectual analysis is pure bullshit.

At least it makes the flowers grow.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com