[OM] Re: Stand to hold a flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Stand to hold a flash
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:15:10 -0500
Ali,

My personal preference is for a straight stand for most of my lights (I use
the three section non air damped version of the Manfrotto stand shown in the
listing). If you intend to do table top shots you might need a boom arm
stand to get a light directly over the subject. For most people/portrait
work I find straight stands are all I need though I plan on getting a boom
arm at some point. My setup for portraits includes five stands, two for the
backdrop bar to sit on, one for the hair light, one for the main light and
one for the fill. Very traditional three light setup really but versatile
enough for my needs. If I had a permanent space I would get a wheeled dolly
stand for the main light to sit on (or get casters for the stand I already
have...).

For location work I wish I had a RedWing Quickstand but they are now
impossible to find since being discontinued (I didn't even find one when
offering a $25 finders fee). The Quickstand has a mechanism that
automatically spreads the legs when you set it down and folds the legs up
when you pick the stand up. Very easy and quick one handed operation for
location work. I have it in mind to try modifying a regular stand for the
same functionality (Dr Flash, I will let you know if I have success in
this).

The price on this stand is good at the moment but you can probably beat it
by going off brand. Used stands are probably better purchased locally so you
can check them for bends and make sure the locks all work right. If you
decide to get more serious then buying a branded stand over a third party
might be worth considering, but if it works it works...

Good luck and have fun with it!

Dan S.